Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Immortal Technique @ Porter's Pub San Diego 8/17/2012

Anyone who knows me, knows I have an immense amount of love & respect for Immortal Technique, as well as for every single member of the Rebel Armz crew. People always say he seems like a scary guy, but honestly, he is the nicest, most humble artist I have ever met. Besides supporting the Rebel Armz for their humble & friendly nature, I love to go to as many shows as I possibly could because I just feel this amazing feeling of empowerment & ecstascy in my heart whenever they perform. It's something bigger than me, bigger than them, something colossal that unites & connects us all. It's amazing.

I wanted to catch Tech do his thing seperately from Rock the Bells, & since San Luis Obispo wasn't convinitent for me to go to, I decided to link up with my girl Laura & head out with her to catch the Rebel Armz at Porter's Pub in San Diego/La Jolla. I really wanted to take her with me because our friendship was built up on the music of Immortal Technique, & honestly, I have crerated many friendships with lots of amazing people through a mutual love for his work.

She picked me up from the airport, & straight from there, we drove from Santa Ana to San Diego. Cuz that's how much love I've got for the Rebel Armz. After a GODDAMN 4 hour drive, we got there & were chilling at the outdoor bar. I caught Akir & DJ G.I. Joe doing soundcheck, & Swave Sevah, Southpaw, & Diabloic laying gear out at the merch booth. Then I see Immortal Technique step out & I wave hi to him, him responding, "Hey Ruby, how you doing?" Ya, I go to so many shows Tech knows me by name lol. After chilling for a minute, my friend & I decided to get some shirts. Tech hugs me up & says hello, I introduce him to my friend Laura, he hugs her up & greets her as if he's known her forever. I tell him about how we became good friends through his music, & he was very flattered & thankful...the man is a uniter lol. Southpaw reeeeally likes to give me a hardtime through social networks for me being an instigator, so I gave him some 'tude & confronted him about his cyber bullying. All love though, Southpaw is the homie lol.

After we got our gear, Laura & I head for the stage & claim our spot in the front. Let me tell you, that place was hotter than a pair of the devil's sicky balls in Georgia during August. It was sweaty NASTY. It seemed as if the show started instantly, no long wait, it was great.
The opening act was a group of four young guys by the name of The Ghetto Zoo. Kids were good, enlightened bunch. I appreciated their vibe.



Things really got crackin' when they brought out this dude by the name of Kahlee. Kid had flow.

Shout out to him for hooking my girl up with a free tshirt lol. After their short, but affective set, it was REBEL ARMZ time!!





DJ G.I. Joe & Erg One were on the stage, attempting to set the mood.


Not gonna liiie, the crowd was a bit unenthusiastic, but that weather was killer!! Energy drainer. After a while, the audience was getting into it, & how could you not? Joey doesn't call himself the Wild Man for no reason, the man is just super hyphy!! I love it! Once Erg One & Joey deemed the crowd ready, they had Swave Sevah come out.

This was definitely one of my favorite Sevah performances. It's probably because Sevah had more time to perform & shine, whereas the other times I've seen him, he had to share the stage. He put lots of emotion & character to his part of the show. One of the most memorable was on this song about how he met a chick at a club, hooked up with her, and well...just watch the video *shutters*


well damn. Twisted shit just happens sometimes lol. I was completely blown away when he performed this one song about his bro who got killed. It was so real, he was tearing up in the beginning, but he got it together.


After that, Akir came out to do his thang thang.
Akir is a great performer. No matter what the energy level of the audience is, he always brings it. He is a professional for sure, I respect him for his confidence & for never giving up on his vibe.


He had the audience's love, getting in their faces showing them what he had to offer. After a stong set, Diabolic came to fuck the stage up.


Diabolic was extremely well received. He had a fan boy in the audience yelling "FUCK TYLER [the Creator]!!" Bolic responding, "ya, fuck that little skateboarding faggot." LoL, the Rebel Armz ain't nothing to fuck with. Through fog machine smoke choking & yelling fans, Diabolic gave supporters a show fa sure. Here's a clip of him performing "Payback"


Soon after, it was go time, which came so quickly. 
 Immortal Technique was welcomed warmly by cheers & whistles. The man is loved by the people, & the feeling is mutual. After his intro, he hit the audience with a little "Industrial Revolution" love.


Tech just kept dropping knowledge on us & smashing us up with his classics.



he teamed up with Diabolic to do some "Peruvian Coaine" for us. I love how he does a bit of a tribal-like dance in the beginning.


Whenever Tech speaks, he always says something important when he's not busy clowing around with them Goons known as the Rebel Armz crew. And Immortal Technique has the type of voice where you just listen; every word is clear, every word makes sense, every word has meaning, your ears have no choice but to take in what is being spoken.

He admirers his supporters, and his supporters highly admire him in return. He is truly of the people. He speaks for those who have yet to find the courage to speak for themselves.
After being the center of attention for a good while, Tech feels like we need to see the work of a REAL DJ. DJ G.I. Joe biaaatch!

Joey almost didn't make it to the west. Since he's on parole, he has to get permission and shiiit, got turned down the first time. Tech went to his P.O. to talk them into letting Joey come through to the west coast. Thank GOD it got approved, it ain't a party without DJ G.I. Joe.
After all that excitement, it was time to get back on that serious tip. I remember Tech tweeting about the Burma Genocide. Look it up. So sad that people are being killed for having a mind of their own. He then, appropriately, performed The Martyr.



Then, the goons got together.
They were all telling their stories on how their mommies & daddies gave them ASS WHOOPINS for being trouble. This was, appropriately, the introduction to Goonies Never Die.


Shout out to Diabolic for doing the Truffle Shuffle though LOL!!
Yessir. After this they did a few songs, including "Angels & Demons" and "Toast to the Dead" (wish I recorded them, shoot wish I recorded the whole show, but I was there to have fun, too, not just work). Then, with a tension, we knew it was time.

All the Rebel Armz brothers got together, & "Dance With the Devil" it was...


So theatrical, so classic. I've been to 7 Immortal Technique shows (going on 8), & I'll tell you, I never get enough of him performing this one.
It was about 11-11:30, I see security approaching the stage...I know what he was about to say. He announces that, "Technically, the show is over." He asked if we wanted me, & more we wanted. So he said, "fuck it, drop that beat," hit us with some "Obnoxious" & was KEEPING IT LIIIVE!


Once that was finished, Tech says, "you know, we've been doing this show all in English." He hit us with some "Golpe de Estado."
The crew was getting ready to step off stage.

Before stepping off, Immortal Technique has us send out blessings to Palestine & wishing them freedom. Then it ended with us uniformly repeating after Tech, "¡Viva la RevoluciĆ³n!"
The men walked through the audience to the merch booth. That meet & greet line was honestly chaotic, it always is. We just all love Tech & the Rebel Armz so much, we all want our bit of one on one time. I talk to some supporters in line, and make new friends like usual.
As soon as I get near the merch booth, there goes Southpaw giving the poor girl in front of me a hard time. I tell her to ignore him, and he starts telling Akir, "She's such an instigator! She loves to start problems!" I nod my head, "yup, I sure do! But YOU started it cuz you got all booty tickled over a SF/NY Giants hoodie that made the NY Giants the bottom bitch." Immortal Technique jumps in saying, "Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...but didn't the NY Giants beat the NINERS? Wait What??" I tell Tech, "Shhhh...I'm talking to Toure (Southpaw)" LOL! They ganged up on me!!  I was telling Southpaw to stop getting all booty tickled, making a tickling gesture with my hand as I said it, & Southpaw responded, "why you gotta make hand gestures like you're playing with balls?" Tech, the wise ass New Yorker that he is, replies, "Oh wait, she's mimicking the way the 49ers catch the ball." Touche Tech, tou-fuckin'-che. Then after chocking on water from laughter (he was thinking about something he remembered & started cracking up), he tells us the story that made him choke on water, "Yo! so after the game, my friend got so drunk that he had to puke. He found someone wearing a 49ers jersey & threw up on it." We were all laughing. I swear, good times with these guys, they are just thee BEST!! I love them so much :-)
After, I got my pretty purple autograph from Tech, & got my picture.


That photo pretty much sums it up...fun GALORE!

I seriously cannot wait for Rock the Bells. Ab-Soul + Immortal Technique on the same weekend?? YES please!!

Immortal Technique's Twitter:
@ImmortalTech

Swave Sevah's Twitter:
@SwaveSevah

Akir's Twitter:
@AkirOne

Southpaw's Twitter:
@SPMusik

DJ G.I. Joe's Twitter:
@DJGIJoe

Diabolic's Twitter:
@DiabolicHipHop

Erg One's Twitter:
@ERG_ONE

The Ghetto Zoo's Instagram:
@TheGhettoZoo

Kahlee's website:

No comments:

Post a Comment