Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nate the Great: Common Folk



Usually when a friend tells you about their friend that raps, you roll your eyes (when they're turned away, of course), & unenthusiatically replying, "oh yeah? that's what's up." When my friend Abdul first told me about his good friend Nate's music, I was open minded; Abdul sent me a link to a mixtape of Nate's, I downloaded it; forgot about it & never listened. I regret not listening. Idk what the hell happened to that mixtape, but my mind slipped up on it. And when Nate dropped this video for his Common Folk ablum, I knew it was definitely my loss:

For the longest time, through my Facebook & Twitter following of Nate, he spoke of his album process & musical progress. Filled with anxiety (not the negative kind that makes you uncomfortable & hate life), Nate had been emotionally ready to drop the project, but like with all team projects, everyone has to put perfection on their part, & we all know perfection takes time. In the meantime, Nate made performances here & there, giving his supporters a taste of what was to come. I personally got the chance to catch him hit the stage at Precita Park for the 16th Annual Graffiti Arts Festival.
And a few days ago, Nate hit us with a joint he did with his homie Fego entitled "Them Days". What is special about this track, it is the ONLY song which contains an artist feature. From what I heard through friends & from what I've read Nate tweet, Fego (aka Miguel) was the one who got Nate started on this rap game, & because of this, Nate felt that he had to honor Miguel's contribution to this major life altering move of his.


From what I read through Twitter, Nate decided to drop the album 8/15 because 1. It's his birthday & 2. His mom never forgot the 15th was his bday cuz it was always pay day...but I could be wrong lol. Anywho, the anticipation was too much for Nate to bare, he dropped it today at 10pm lol. 
As I write this, I'm still listening to the album, on track 13: Common Folk Outro. Overall, such a beautiful, magical, mystical album filled with wonder, self-discovery, & hope, hope those who are listening to are LISTENING to the words, hope that they will observe themselves, observe the world & what they are in the world, hope that we can all come together & make change in a world full of chaos.
Take a listen. It's worth it, I promise <3

and shout out to The Kid Rated R on such beautiful production, he does great things with samples (& originals, too). Whoever you guys had sing on that album, she is an AMAZING vocalist.

Nate's Twitter:
The Kid Rated R's Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment